Today I decided to take a little mixed media painting I did several months ago and re-work it. An interesting lesson. I decided it didn’t matter how it turned out…I wasn’t really happy with it in its original state….so I had nothing to lose. I tried out some new things…alcohol inks on gesso, black edging, adding more fabric texture and other paper elements.
I also discovered something interesting when photographing it. I liked the details. I especially liked one where I had cut off the head of the girl in the painting. This has lead me to think about a whole new way of doing these “portraits” in which I hand tint copies of vintage photos.
Here’s the original:
Here’s the new version: